Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Closing of the Year


2012 was a pretty good year. For me, the ’12 was sort of the jelly part of the sandwich: last year, I found out TTIJTC was going to be published—next year it will be. In between, we have 2012. There have been some minor triumphs: my 1995 Honda Civic didn’t die *knocks on wood*. I wrote three books and then re-wrote one of the three.  I pretty much decided that Garamond was my signature font. These are the days of my life.

I have also resolved not to look at that “This is Your Life” year-in-review situation that Facebook always offers up this time of year. I mean really, it’s just a bad plan. In a year in which something really big happens, I mean hooray for that, but then the rest of the year is going to pretty much pale in comparison. And if, heaven forbid, it’s a year when not much of anything happens, then you’re just depressed at a time when the house is probably filled with enough cookies for a massive eating-your-feelings binge. 

I would actually be in favor of moving Christmas to a less pressure-filled time of year. Perhaps February. That’s a pretty boring month. The way things are now, we have this gigantic holiday, with all the attendant pressure and stress, and we also have the closing of the year: looking back, taking stock. And then we have New Year’s Eve, which is the Kobayashi Maru of holidays. It’s a no-win scenario. Either you go out and spend approximately ten times more than at any other time of the year to enter and eat and drink—or you stay home and watch something truly terrible on television, like a live performance by Ke$ha, before the ball drops and you then it’s time for bed (true story). 

So before all the holiday craziness really kicks in, I’m taking a pressure-free look back at the year that’s about to be in the rear view. There have been ups and downs, just like any year. But when it comes to what truly matters: movies, TV, books, and music, it’s been a pretty great one.

Favorite Movie: The Avengers. My Joss Whedon goes mainstream? This is a no-brainer. Also with added Chris Hemsworth and Robert Downey Jr. goodness.

Most surprising movie that I actually liked although I really didn’t expect to: Tie: The Hobbit and Breaking Dawn Part II. I showed up at the theater with money in hand for both of these out of a weird feeling of obligation. Once I start something, I like to see it through. I had no expectation that I’d actually enjoy BDII, but somehow they managed to make it pretty good. The jk/gotcha moment was a good one.
The Hobbit was pretty enjoyable and also there were at least two cute dwarves which I feel a little weird about but whatever. “Hot Dwarf” is now searchable on Tumblr, btw. 

Favorite book: It didn’t come out this year, but I found out about it from the movie version that did: Don Winslow’s Savages. I really love his unusual style and his funny acronyms. I intend to address someone’s Christmas card to PAQU this year and she’ll never even know. Oh, wait, that sort of makes the acronym apply to me too. Crap.

Favorite YA book: Again, it came out in 2010, but I mostly read for AP Lit and AP Lang. But I finally read Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and I loved, I loved it.

Favorite TV show: This will come as no surprise to anyone who’s read this blog. The Vampire Diaries! Ian Somerholder=swoon. I love a good antihero. I’ve totally forgiven him for ripping out the hot werewolf’s heart. Bygones. Besides, hot werewolves were so 2011. It’s all about the hot dwarves now.

Favorite album: Night Visions by Imagine Dragons is pretty doggone good. But I am a singles girl at heart. So here’s my humble playlist for the year that was:

Radioactive- Imagine Dragons
Ho Hey-The Lumineers
Stubborn Love-The Lumineers
Headlights-Morning Parade
Queen of a Sad Land-A Silent Film
Dark Again-Gold Fields
I Will Wait-Mumford and Sons
I Knew You Were Trouble…-Taylor Swift
Carry On-Fun.
Fear and Loathing-Marina and the Diamonds
The Pit-Silversun Pickups
Towers-Bon Iver (okay, it was 2011, but so awesome)
Breath of Life-Florence+The Machine (best part of the disappointing Snow White and the Huntsman)

Happy almost-2013 to all and good luck solving the no-win scenario on December 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment